Monday, June 1, 2009

Is it a problem to be big and strong?

Is it a problem to be big and strong? Is it a disadvantage to be small? Or does size really not matter. 
A while back I was chatting to some of the folk who do kenjutsu with me and the one young lady voiced some concern about her petite form. This reminded me of a passge written by Musashi in the Book of Five Rings.

Small people must be completely familiar with the spirit of large people, and large people must be familiar with the spirit of small people. Whatever your size, do not be misled by the reactions of your own body. With your spirit open and unconstricted, look at things from a high point of view.


Now I am certainly large by Japanese standards, and I use the fact that I have bulk and strength. Because I have been able to get away with using strength I have not learned the more harmonious side of Aikido. Truth be told I have not been very successful with sticky palms and the more sensitive side of any martial arts. So I realise a need to become familiar with the spirit of small people.
Then a friend of mine posted a link to a Youtube video on Facebook. The video showed Sensei Corky Quakenbush of Kakushi Toride Aikido Dojo working on developing the use of Ki in aikido techniques. 

I found Sensei Corky’s manner very relaxed and easy to listen to. The effect was magical and re-awakened a deep desire to investigate Ki.

Please watch these videos and let me know what you think.


Subscribe to my blog and be notified by email when I post a new Article.

I will never share or sell your personal details with anyone, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GO RIN NO SHO
The Book of Five Rings

It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways. Even if a man has no natural ability he can be a warrior by sticking assiduously to both divisions of the Way. - Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Geshin